Saturday, January 14, 2012

An enjoyable new theater experience

54. "Les Miserables" and The Young Players at Benton Royal Theater

I have worked with a lot of talented high school and younger actors over the past few years at the Royal Theater in Benton. They have their own, student-only productions throughout the year, but I have never managed to see one of their shows. Daphne Shoppach is a class-act lady that I have gotten to work with several times, and she is directing "Les Miserables- School Edition" this weekend. I've never seen this show, so this seemed like a perfect time to do 2 firsts in one. Though not too excited about the outing, Brian graciously accompanied/drove me to Benton last night. It was a sell-out crowd and these young people did an amazing job! To me, much of the music in this show is not very lyrical, more like rapid chanting on a few pitches. I don't know how they all stayed together or memorized such a huge amount of words or found their pitches or... But they were all VERY professional and the set changes and all the little details were very precise. I did finally recognize several songs, and even got a little teary-eyed at the storyline and the drama. I give them 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment