Friday, February 11, 2011

Lessons Learned from Friends

(No "firsts" chronicled here)

I've learned lots of great lessons from friends, co-workers, and relatives. Here are some of my favorites:

*Embrace your inner nerd. (Thank you, Lauren W.)
I think this is so funny- and so freeing! It's great to realize that EVERYone is a little weird. I think we all have some degree of OCD and strange little habits and thoughts. My daughter, Micah, once confessed in her blog (see "I'm Just Saying" in my blog list) that she associates certain numbers with certain colors (or something like that- she's weird- haha :). Myself: I have to always put on my left sock first; I'm VERY picky about how my dishwasher is loaded (don't touch it!); when I see the Washington Monument I am compelled to say "obelisk" out loud; need I continue???

*Bring unexpected "party favors" to gatherings of friends. (Cousin Cheryl)
I've received several fun "happies" from Cheryl over the years. It can be a little notepad, a novel reusable shopping bag (in its own lemon-shaped bag :), and various personalized items. As a recipient, this is SO fun! And the few times I've been the donor, that's equally fun! Start your stash now.

*Something is better than nothing, and always strive for more. (Christy P.)
Christy taught me this when she was my Sunday School teacher at Central Baptist. At her urging, I have read at least a few verses from the Bible or a page or 2 in a devotional book almost every morning for the past few years. I think this lesson applies to other areas of life, too. I need to try it in housecleaning, exercising, dieting, keeping in touch with family & friends, ...

*Risk being cheesy & tell people how much they mean to you. (A. Smith)
This friend is so great about writing sweet notes or leaving great voicemails about how she was just thinking about you & prayed a specific prayer for you. I've heard her say to people in the office (not at church!) "you came to my mind today & I prayed for ______ for you." Great example to follow.

I'm open to more lessons- share your favorites~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment