Saturday, April 9, 2011

Made it to First #20---

This has been a very fun week, with several new "firsts" accomplished.

18. Cake Decorating Class

I started a 4-week Wilton cake decorating class this week at Hobby Lobby. Kinda funny to walk into HL carrying cookies and all the paraphernalia you need for the class. This week was mostly lecture & lesson, learning lots of baking basics. I didn't even know that "10X" on a powdered sugar box means that it has been sifted 10 times and so is very fine in consistency. Who knew? We did learn how to make perfect Buttercream Frosting, load the icing cone-thingy, and make stars- the basic technique to making those ever-famous character cakes. (Also learned that you could spend a fortune on equipment for this hobby!) Maybe I can post pictures if I decorate anything extraordinaire.

19. Feed the Lorikeets at the LR Zoo

On the 3 or 4 trips I've made to the LR Zoo since becoming a Nana, the fun Lorikeet exhibit has been closed every time. Today Mindy & I took the boys for a perfect-weather trip to the zoo, and, hallelujah, the exhibit was open! And very busy. We got a little cup of whatever lorikeets crave and fed them. And even had one land on my finger :) Video evidence:








20. Use a chainsaw!!!

Haha- this was actually written down on my "Bucket List." Brian was doing some yard improvement and said today was the day I could use a real chainsaw. I kinda wished I had used a little protective gear- had no idea that little wood chips would fly all over me. Ted drove up just in time to video this feat for posterity:

2 comments:

  1. 1) Cake decorating class!? Wow, can you please teach me some things? And some of those things should include the "baking basics" that you learned. lol

    2) The weather was B-E-A-U-TIFUL this weekend! Perfect for a trip to the zoo!

    3) I am very impressed with the chainsaw! Those things are scary! And I love how Mr. Brian stands back there with his hands on his hips supervising in the video! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian was ready to step in and rescue me at any moment. He was saying "Give it some gas!" I kinda got it stuck in the branch...

    ReplyDelete