Monday, December 5, 2011

3 bridges in 1 afternoon

46. Walk 3 of the Little Rock Bridges in 1 day

For several months now, I have thought it would be a fun little adventure to walk at least 3 of the new Little Rock pedestrian bridges in one day. I've been on the Big Dam Bridge and the Junction Bridge before, and on the Clinton Center Bridge last month with Ted & his family. The Two Rivers Bridge opened within the past few weeks & I really wanted to see it. So I enlisted my there-for-you-anytime friend, Tommie, who at least pretended to think this was a good idea. I suggested another friend that might want to join us, but Tommie said "I don't think she is really much of a walker." To this I replied "WE are not much of walkers!!!" Athletes we are not!

We started on a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago. We went to the new Two Rivers Bridge first. It is very pretty, with a gorgeous view. That day was kind of the end of the fall leaf colors, so it was even prettier. This bridge's river namesakes are the Arkansas River and the Little Maumelle Rivers. There were quite a few couples, grandparents & grandchildren, and bicyclists on the bridge that day. I almost knocked a poor little boy scout off his bike when I set my timer on my camera & turned around to run into my place for our photo below:




Our 2nd bridge was the Clinton Center Bridge. This one seems to be well cared for (hmmm- wonder why???) and the flowers in the many planters on the bridge had been changed from mums to pansies in the 3 weeks that passed from my 1st to 2nd walk here. The view of fall colors is REALLY pretty here! We also took in the Lego Exhibit in the Clinton Center (happened to be free that day). This exhibit will be on display through February, I think, and you should really see it for yourself. And, of course, walk the bridge!



And, now, for the unexpected (and scary) conclusion to our excursion... Our 3rd bridge was the Junction Bridge. We parked on "lovely" East Washington in NLR, thought twice about starting across this bridge 20-30 minutes before dark, and decided we would make a quick run for it. We took a few pictures on the bridge and then a tall, dark man approached Tommie. He said (read this with an effeminate voice) "Don't worry- I'm a good sssstranger! But I truly am a homelesss perssssson." We assured him we had nothing on us to help him out, we were just out for a stroll. He saw my camera and said "Ooh- take my picture!" He then posed himself & Tommie, and I took their picture:

(That picture makes me laugh every time I look at it!)
Then Mr. Good Stranger wanted to see his picture. He looked at it and loved it. He said "Ooh, girl- I look good! I have lotsss of poses- take my picture again. Wait, wait! Let me get the pose jusssst right..." Here is one of his model poses:

After this, we decided we would hurry back to our car. 'nuff excitement for one afternoon!

Act like a tourist and check out the fun free adventures in your own town!

No comments:

Post a Comment